Monday, November 22, 2010

Movie Review: Megamind vs Skyline

Hmm, yeah I know the two movies above comes from a very different genre and target audience... Yet I'm going to give a quick review about it... I watched it last week by the way, and I was distracted the whole week with painting, yes, recently I draw... Again, after such a long time of resting my pencils and sketch book...
And today, I know I must catch up with all the movies I've watched, because I got a bigger movie to be reviewed... Yes, its HARRY POTTER and THE DEATHLY HALLOWS!!

But before I got to that one, I'll reviewed these two movies first...



Megamind:
A story about a villain who is actually an innocent (misguided by his past to be exact) and a lonely guy... Will Ferrell is the perfect choice for this character, he portrays the humor as well as the lonely and unwanted person that grows sympathy from the audiences. With a standard storyline, this movie can brought an entertaining visual of a villain who turned out better than he already is. Animation? Well, I think Dreamworks really working hard as they catch up with Pixar, which is of course far away on the top of the greatest animators' list. But the animation in this movie is not bad... It is still below How to Train Your Dragon but Dreamworks are working on it, and I'm sure of it, seeing their efforts from a tasteless and flat animated movie like Bee Movie, until they rise to this stage...

Yet, if I pictured Dreamworks and Pixar racing toward each other to be the best animator, I'd say Pixar still wins two laps... From the visuals, the story, plot, and perfect portions of each characters presented in each movie, the emotions, and even the choice of music along the film... (The music in this film is not bad at all by the way. Yep, it's Hans Zimmer who composed it and making this movie better in emotional aspect...)

Rating: 3.5 from 5


Skyline:
I'm sorry but I think this is the WORST movie I've watched this year... Not that I already enthused with the idea of this is going to be a good movie, no... Still I don't expect it to be so... Crappy... Readers, please don't get tricked by the good poster design up there. Yes, the poster design really can indicate whether the movie is good or bad in some movies, yet in this one, the fact is vice versa... From the story, the actors and actresses, the music, and even the visual effects is not properly managed...

The story is about the aliens that invaded the earth (a formula that is used in almost every single sci-fi movies...), about UFOs and that people started missing... So there are these people who are lucky enough to survive, only to let the time decide whether they really survived or they are just going to accept their fate and join the others that are already missing. 

The story is dull and filled with cliches here and there, surprising ending though... Yet the ending alone cannot save this movie from thumbs down... The acting is much worse.  The victims are just a bunch of people who have only one facial expression throughout the movie...  And just like a horror genre movies, the sheer luck survivals then started to gone missing one by one... To be exact, I take a look at my watch every time I can, and laugh in irony... This movie shouldn't be a comedy, yet it was! For me...

Okay here's the advice, you'd better go home, save your money, and watched The War of The Worlds for the thirtieth times or something, than to go and see this film... In fact the alien is similar, I do not know whether it is a coincidence or not...

Rating: 1 from 5 (Can I get a refund, please?)

Conclusion:
So, thinking of going to got to the movies this weekend? Well, I think that everybody is busy planning for Deathly Hallows this week, yes, they are the king of the box office... But if you'd like to see another title, or maybe just to save you from a dissapointment of not getting a ticket for Deathly Hallows, I recommend you to see Megamind... It worths your time and money, plusses good humor and entertaining in all aspects, whereas Skyline, they don't deserve BOTH!! Sorry... 

No comments: