Friday, July 8, 2011

My Hamster's Cute Kiddo ;D

Three weeks ago my hamster (as you may recall from my last post, was named Momoy and Papoy), finally gave birth to 8 little cute children! Well, Momoy did actually, Papoy is only involved in the 'making'... xD haha

Okayy so this is Momoy:


And this is Momoy when she's pregnant, eating some bread:



Here is the picture of one child after Momoy gave birth (see?the red one?):



And this is Momoy's only survived child... All 7 of them had died not long after their birth because apparently, Momoy didn't understand how to care and treat them... Momoy just sit on them all day (to warm them up actually) without feeding them...


Ain't he/she cute? Oh well, I don't have a name for it yet, because I still dunno whether this one would turn up a boy or a girl, yet, judging from the hyperactiveness, maybe it is a boy... :)

Here's other picture:





And here is him/her compared to her mother's size... Pretty small, huh? (oh, I haven't mention the age, Momoy's child is 3 weeks old now, almost 4 weeks)



I wanna touch him so badly, but then he's still in his mother's care and I don't want to intervene. If I touch him,  Momoy might think that he's not her child (by the unrecognizable smell from having touched by our hands) and eat him up! <:0

The 101 rule for post-birthing hamster:
1. DON'T touch the child, or they will eat it because they don't recognize the scent; 
2. PUT the hamster's cage in a dark place (I cover my hamster's cage with a newspaper); 
3. DON'T clean the cage although I know it becomes smelly after a few weeks, but keep it as the way it is until the child is all grown up and can find the food all by itself;
4. DON'T check on the cage too often, it may cause the mother too stressed, or disturbed (and it can eventually leading to the mother eat the child);
5. Separate the mother and the children from the father (in this case: Papoy; yes I put Papoy in other cage ever since Momoy's first childbirth. If you do not do this, well, the father can actually eat his children);
6. GIVE ENOUGH food inside the cage; you don't want the mother to get too hungry or she will eat her child; in this case, you can put all kinds of her favorite food such as sunflower seeds and other grains  (I give mine a little amount of milk occasionally and a little amount of oats post two weeks of giving birth);
7. PUT a DROP of vitamin to our hamster's drink to help her regain her strength after all those exhausting childbirth and breast feeding (you can always buy a vitamin from a pet store)
8. DON'T touch the child even though the mother seemed to not care about it and not giving her children any food, because well, in this case, you really supposed to trust the mother's judgement and, instinct...

Sorry for my lousy English... I cannot explain this properly... >.<

Thank you for reading! ^__^

No comments: